Ever wonder what makes you super unique? This post is about that one thing that makes you interesting like no other and I'm not talking about your looks.
It's your story.
If you want to know what makes you YOU, then check out the turning points in your life.
No one will have those same exact experiences and that is what makes you unique and interesting.
The things you went through and how you dealt with them inform you of your WHY.
This is the WHY of Mic B Studio
I've come to the conclusion that there are three life events that have shaped the way I do things at Mic B Studio:
1. TRAVEL AT A YOUNG AGE
I left the Philippines when I was 5 to see the world. My language and written skills were often lacking at the beginning, so I relied on my eyes to read people's non-verbal signals and quickly look for the things that I had in common with others.
What I learned:
- Flexibility. Observe first and then connect. Fascination with people of different backgrounds. Fascination with the things that connect us as humans.
- "I love those connections that make this big old world feel like a little village." - Gina Bellman
2. THE DEATH OF MY FATHER WHEN I WAS 16 YEARS OLD
The worst and saddest experience I've had in my life so far. I cried so much during that time that even if I wanted to I couldn't produce any more tears.
What I learned:
- Life is fleeting. Be thankful for each day and each opportunity to build bridges. Don't delay thank-yous, I-love-yous or I-appreciate-yous! Live life with purpose and be an encourager!
- "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about."
- Wendy Mass, The Candymakers
3. THE ART WORKSHOP THAT GOT ME STARTED
It was a weekend workshop sponsored by the adult school in Munich, Germany. This ignited my adventure in art. There's a part of me that wishes this would've happened earlier in my life. But then I realize this happened for a reason. It helps me understand what every late starter in art goes through and this makes me a better art coach.
What I learned:
- It's never too late to start anything. You can never go wrong with too much encouragement. Leave perfection behind to move forward faster.
- "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh
In a nutshell, my WHY is to share human connections, encouragement and creative adventure!
I do this by creating portraits that showcase the unique stories of people and art workshops that give busy people the tools to express themselves through oil painting.
"KNOW YOUR WHY."
- Mic Boekelmann
BIG PICTURE SUMMARY
You've got a unique story! No one else has it. Take time to reflect and see what makes you YOU. It's worth it.
Think of joyful events, struggles you've overcome or general patterns in your life (your love of nature, music, celebrities, sports, etc.) Use your story as inspiration for all the things you'd love to do.
Remember: Know your WHY.
YOUR ONE ACTION STEP
On a piece of paper jot down the things that come easy to you that makes you come alive. Leave your answer in the comments below. I'd love to hear the things that make you YOU!